Skip to content

Breaking and fixing Arch

I just had a stupid accident with my computer. I felt a bit bored with my project I was working on for few hours and needed a bit of relaxation, so I decided to go on and play with overclocking my CPU. I ramped it up from 4.4 Ghz to 4.6 Ghz. Should be a standard overclock for an 14nm i7-6700K CPU. Actually I was there before, but there were some stability issues, so I went back to 4.4. However I decided to iron out those issues tonight. Long story short, after some playing with a myriad of settings on my Gigabyte Gaming 7 mobo, I felt it was stable enough for ordinary use … Yeah :-).

Stupid by me to do a system upgrade after such a short time from overclock! I should have waited with system upgrade for at least few days before I was sure the system is stable enough. It bailed out in the midst of kernel upgrade! Actually while mkinitcpio was written to disk. Unnecessary to say that my system was left in completely unbootable state, right? I got \vmlinuz-linux error when motherboard was booting linux (or something similar to that, I didn’t wrote it down). Fortunately, it was not so hard to fix it.

First I had to boot into Windows, downloaded latest Arch ISO image and make a bootable USB thumb drive. After booting from the thumb drive, I had to mount my Arch system:

mkdir /mnt/a
mount /dev/nwme0n1p2 /mnt/a (that is my root system)
mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /mnt/a/boot (my boot partition)
mount -t /proc /mnt/a/proc
ln -s /proc/mounts /mnt/a/etc/mtab
mount –rbind /sys /mnt/a/sys
mount –rbind /dev /mnt/a/dev

Than it was just to chroot: chroot /mnt/a

Once chrooted into old system I couldn’t really run pacman -Syu. Pacman just decided that everything was top-notch, up-to-date! It didn’t realized that last update crashed big time. Since it downloaded packages before upgrade, they were still in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, so I did pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/* –force. Fortunately for me I cleaned cache just before that update, so It was not so many packages there, otherwise it would be a looong update. Ok, I wouldn’t go for all packages, but just those kernel & co (mkinitcpio foremost), but I am a lazy guy, so typing a * was much easier thing to do. For good measure I also forced upgrade of Nvidias driver, just for good measure to on safe side.

Well, almost a sad story was fortunately happy-ended with umounting everything in reverse order, removing thumb drive and rebooting into fully working Arch! And of course, after some minor tweaks with cache overclock CPU ticks happily at 4.6 Ghz now (hmmm, only for about two or so hours).

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*